The Youth Services Division provides Youth Services and Support including crisis support services for youth and their families, diversion from court/juvenile justice system, family-based prevention and intervention programs, and programs on teen parenting.
In addition to Youth Service, DHS provides preventive and crisis services for residents to support family functioning and wellbeing, including:
- Family Crisis Support to help vulnerable individuals and families, citywide, who are in crisis and experiencing multiple, complex challenges that may lead to individual or family disintegration or separation.
- Refugee Assistance to assist District of Columbia refugees with the transition to life in the United States and help them achieve stability as quickly as possible.
- Services for Survivors of Family or Domestic Violence including the establishment, maintenance, and expansion of programs and projects to prevent incidents of family violence. It also provides immediate shelter and related assistance for victims of family violence and their dependents that meet the needs of all victims, including those in underserved communities.
- Administering the Community Services Block Grant which provides federal financial assistance to states for the provision of services that are directed towards assisting families and individuals achieve economic self-sufficiency; preserving families and preventing institutionalization; and preventing or remedying neglect, abuse, or exploitation of children or adults.
- Gen 2 Gen DC provides a range of programs that provides a multi-generational approach to address the needs of parents, children, and grandparents.