Youth Homeless Services (YHS) leads the City’s response to youth homelessness via direct grants to community organizations that provide services (housing, street outreach, youth drop-in centers, etc.) to youth experiencing homelessness and our Youth HOPE (housing options and prevention education) program. YHS also coordinates street outreach teams and collaborates with partners to ensure youth are assessed for, and linked to appropriate services.
To be eligible for Youth HOPE, you must be:
District of Columbia Transition Age Youth (TAY), 24 years old or younger, homeless, living in doubled-up circumstances, in transitional housing, in shelter, or at risk of homelessness
Services provided to youth eligible for Youth HOPE include:
- Prevention services (i.e. family counseling and mediation)
- Workshops on mental health and supportive services
- Short term crisis intervention and counseling
- Short term case management
Youth Homeless Services funds all the below programs:
- Friendship Place - (202) 631-5008
- HER Resiliency - (844) 4HERNOW
- Sasha Bruce - (202) 675-9340 x214,215*
- LAYC - (202) 713-0475*
- Covenant House - (202) 610-9600*+
- Casa Ruby - (202) 290-1329*
- Zoe's Doors - (202) 248-2098*
(*) Resources at these providers vary but may include food, clothing, laundry services, showers, case management, and referrals to other services.
(+) Independently funded.
- Bruce House (ages 17 & under) - (202) 546-4900
- Casa Ruby (LGBTQ specific) (ages 18-24 yrs) - (202) 355-5155
- Covenant House- The Sanctuary - (202) 610-9698 (18-24 yrs)
- Covenant House Washington - Safe Haven (ages 18-24 yrs) - (202) 610-9600
- Healthy Babies – Muriel’s House (pregnant/parenting teens 16-21)
Homeless TAY should call the Runaway and Homeless Youth (RHY) Hotline at
(202) 547-7777 or visit www.coordinatedentry.com under ‘Help?’ for a list of outreach providers and drop-in center locations.