Receiving Your EBT Card
In response to coronavirus (COVID-19), effective April 20, DHS began offering the service of mailing new and replacement EBT cards to customers. Cards are mailed to the customer's address on record with DHS by Fidelity Information Services (FIS) - the District's EBT card distribution company. Customers may expect to receive their EBT card within five to seven days, and are not required to visit the EBT Office to receive their card.
Customer's without a fixed mailing address may pick up their EBT card at one of the following EBT Card Distribution Centers:
EBT Card Distribution Center: 645 H Street NE
Hours of Operation:
Wednesday from 7:30 am – 12 noon*
Monday from 7:30 am – 4:45 pm*
Friday from 7:30 am – 4:45 pm*
EBT Card Distribution Center: 1649 H Street SE
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday from 7:30 am – 4:45 pm*
Thursday from 7:30 am – 4:45 pm*
*Hours and days are subject to change.
Activating Your EBT Card
You or your authorized representative need to activate your card so that you can begin to use it. An authorized representative is a person you choose to get your benefits for you. To degsignate an authorized representative, you must submit a written statement to a local DHS Service Center.
To activate your card:
- Select a Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- Call FIS at (888) 304-9167 to enter your selected PIN
Have the following information ready when calling FIS to activate your card and enter your PIN:
- Date of Birth
- Last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN). If you do not have an SSN, or did not provide one at the time of application, you will need to use your date of birth and zip code to create your PIN.
Keep you PIN secure and never share it with anyone. If you cannot remember your PIN or the number is compromised, call FIS at 888-304-9167 to select a new PIN.
Checking Your Balance
SNAP participants may check their benefits balance using the ebtEdge Mobile App available for Apple mobile devices or Android mobile devices, visiting the FIS ebtEdge website, or contacting FIS at (888) 304-9167. Benefit balances are also printed on your store receipt.
Updating Your Mailing Address
Customers may update their mailing address on record with DHS by contacting the Call Center at (202) 727-5355, 7:30 am - 4:45 pm, Monday - Friday.
Requesting a Replacement EBT Card
Customers may request a replacement EBT card by calling 888-304-9167. Customers should keep their EBT cards secure, as replacement cards are no longer immediately available. For customers whose EBT card is intact, and in their possession, it will continue to work normally with no changes.
Protecting Your EBT Benefits & Authorized Use
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits can only be used to purchase food at grocery stores or other authorized retailers or online at Amazon.com. To use SNAP benefits on Amazon, visit www.amazon.com/snap-ebt, and follow the instructions on the screen.
- EBT cards may be used at grocery stores and any authorized retailer.
- If you have cash assistance benefits, you may use those like cash. Cash benefits may be withdrawn from an Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) using an EBT card. Two ATM withdrawls per month are permitted at no charge. Additional ATM withdrawl transactions are 85 cents per transaction.
- View the "Secure Your SNAP Benefits: A Customer Integrity and Fraud Prevention Guide" to learn more about protecting your SNAP benefits.
View and download additional resources and information about EBT Card benefits in translated languages.