Text Resize

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

SNAP Eligibility

Income Requirements

Households have to meet income tests unless all members are receiving TANF, SSI, or in some places general assistance. Most households must meet both the gross and net income tests, but a household with an elderly person or a person who is receiving certain types of disability payments only has to meet the net income test. Households, except those noted, that have income over the amounts listed below cannot get SNAP benefits.

Household Size Maximum Gross
Monthly Income
Eligibility Standard for Expanded
Categorically Eligible Households
(effective October 1, 2012)
200% FPL
Maximum Gross
Monthly Income
Standard (effective
October 1, 2012)
130% FPL
Maximum Net
Monthly Income
Eligibility Standard
(effective October 1,
2012) 100% FPL
Maximum Allotment
(effective April 1, 2009)
1 $1,862 $1,211 $931 $200
2 2,522 1,640 1,261 367
3 3,182 2,069 1,591 526
4 3,842 2,498 1,921 668
5 4,502 2,927 2,251 793
6 5,162 3,356 2,581 952
7 5,822 3,785 2,911 1,052
8 6,482 4,214 3,241 1,202
Each Additional Member +660 +429 +330 +150

Gross income means a household's total, nonexcluded income, before any deductions have been made.


Find Your Gross Income  Example
Determine your household size 4 people with no elderly or disableed members
Add gross monthly income     $1,500 earned income
+     $550 social security
=  $2,050 gross income
If gross monthly income is less than the limit
for household size (from table above), determine net income
$2,050 is less than the $2,297 allowed for a 4-
person household, so determine net income.

Net income means gross income minus allowable deductions.  To find your Net Income, take your Gross Income and subtract any of the deductions below that apply.  Compare your results to the table above using the Net Income column.

Allowed Deductions

Deductions are allowed as follows:

  • A 20 percent deduction from earned income;
  • A standard deduction of $149 for households sizes of 1 to 3 people and $160 for a household size of 4 (higher for some larger households);
  • A dependent care deduction when needed for work, training, or education;
  • Medical expenses for elderly or disabled members that are more than $35 for the month if they are not paid by insurance or someone else;
  • Legally owed child support payments;
  • Excess shelter costs that are more than half of the household's income after the other deductions. Allowable costs include the cost of fuel to heat and cook with, electricity, water, the basic fee for one telephone, rent or mortgage payments and taxes on the home. The amount of the shelter deduction cannot be more than $469 unless one person in the household is elderly or disabled.


In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.  Under the Food Stamp Act and USDA policy, discrimination is prohibited also on the basis of religion or political beliefs.

To file a complaint of discrimination, contact USDA or HHS. 


USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights,
1400 Independence Avenue, SW,
Washington, DC 20250-9410

or call

(800) 795-3272 (voice) or
(202) 720-6382 (TTY). 


HHS, Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 506-F,
200 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20201

or call

(202) 619-0403 (voice) or
(202) 619-3257 (TTY). 

USDA and HHS are equal opportunity providers and employers.






Contact TTY: