To better serve our customers, DHS Service Centers are opening earlier! Starting July 2nd, the new service center hours are 7:30 AM a.m. to 4:45 PM, Monday through Friday.
If it’s difficult for customers to visit during these hours, Service Centers will be open before typical work and school hours, which will allow customers to drop off their paperwork earlier in the day or during lunch. After submitting paperwork, customers will be contacted by a caseworker to complete their application.
For questions regarding benefits, please contact the DHS Call Center at
202-727-5355, press the ‘#’ button and then press ‘0.’
* Late night hours on Wednesdays evenings are discontinued.
Q1: How are DHS Service Center hours of operation changing?
- Effective July 2, 2018, DHS Service Centers will be open from 7:30 a.m. until 4:45 p.m. daily, instead of opening at 8:15 a.m. each day.
- DHS will no longer offer late night hours from 4:45 p.m. – 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday evenings.
Q2: What if it is still difficult for customers to visit the Service Center (leave work or miss school) during the day?
- Service Centers will open before typical work or school hours.
- Customers who need to check benefit status, ask a question, or report a change are encouraged to call the main customer service line at
(202) 727-5355 and press # 0.
- For many benefit types, customers may drop off their paperwork, perhaps early in the day or during lunch, and a caseworker will call them in the next few days to complete their application.
- TANF or Alliance applications still require an in-person interview with a caseworker.
- DHS caseworkers are stationed throughout the city at community centers and job centers to improve availability.
- DHS has started a shorter, modified interview process for Alliance applications or renewals to reduce wait times.
Q3: Why are the hours of operation changing?
- About 50% of customers arrive at Service Centers before 10 a.m. each month.
- On average, only about 4% of customers utilized late night service availability on Wednesdays. That means less than 1% of our customer base utilizes late night services.
Q4: How will new hours improve customer service?
- The 3 hours of late night service will be redistributed to allow each Service Center to open 45 minutes earlier every day during the busiest hours with a larger number of staff to service customers.
- Opening earlier with more staff available will allow Service Centers to serve more customers, more quickly on a daily basis.
- We expect this to reduce the number of times we have to call limited services.