To mitigate the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), many programs serving individuals experiencing homelessness across the District are modifying operations. This homeless services day programs and meal sites list shares the most up-to-date information on the operations of privately-funded day programs across the District.
Please note: this list is based on the best information currently available and is updated as new information is provided.
Effective September 24, 2020, all DC youth ages 18 and younger my receive free grab-and-go meals at DCPS meal site locations through June 30, 2021. DCPS meal service locations are open every Monday to Friday from 10 AM to 2 PM. View the full list of meal sites here.
Please note that during this period, DC youth are not required to be enrolled in a DC public school to receive meals. To limit the number of trips, families, youth, parents and/or guardians visiting meal sites, may receive up to three (3) breakfast and three (3) lunch meals per visit. Meals consist of an entree, fruit and/or vegetable service, and a milk.
To access information regarding additional food resources and weekly grocery distribution, please visit coronavirus.dc.gov/food or view this helpful Frequenty Asked Questions information sheet avaiable here.
Residents that are homebound because of COVID-19 can request support from the District for food and other essential items.
Eligible residents can call 1-888-349-8323 or visit gethelp.dc.gov to have food and other essential items delivered to their homes if they have been directed by a medical provider to self-quarantine or have no other means to acquire these items.
The District’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) helps pregnant women, new mothers, infants, and children up to age five buy the food they need for good health and receive nutrition and breastfeeding counseling.
If you think you may be eligible for WIC:
- Please contact your local WIC site to schedule an appointment. You can find site locations and contact information at dcwic.org/wic-locations.
- Visit: dcwic.org/how-to-apply-for-wic
Important changes to DC WIC operations during COVID-19:
- WIC sites are providing all services over the phone.
- All benefits will be mailed to participants.
- For additional information on DC WIC program updates, visit dcwic.org/covid-19.
Finding WIC foods at the store:
- DC WIC’s food list has been temporary expanded to allow for additional food items to be purchased with DC WIC checks during the COVID-19 public health emergency, effective April 1, 2020. You can find the list of expanded food items here.
- Safeway has included pregnant women in their Tuesday and Thursday “Golden Hours” from 7am – 9am, where at-risk individuals can shop safely at their stores.
Finding WIC-issued formula at the store:
- If you are having trouble finding your WIC-issued formula at the store, please speak to the store manager to see when shipments are scheduled. Some stores are able to put items (such as formula) on hold for customers.
- Participants with checks for special formulas may order these formulas at any authorized Pharmacy location. These pharmacies have 48 hours to obtain your special formula.