DC L.E.A.P. (Learn Earn Advance Prosper) Academy was born from a simple idea: Train DC residents who currently receive TANF benefits to serve DC residents. The LEAP Academy bridges the gap between unemployed/underemployed TANF customers and in-demand jobs within DC Government while providing a pathway to the middle class.
In partnership with DOES and DCHR, Office of Work Opportunity’s (OWO) goal is to target TANF customers for positions available within DC government.
Who is eligible?
- Must be a current District of Columbia resident;
- Must be a current Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) recipient in good standing;
- Must meet minimum qualifications and suitability requirements for positions (Note: You may be subject to a criminal history check, random drug test, consumer credit check, and a review of traffic recorded and/or other comprehensive background investigations as it relates to the duties of the position);
- Must be 18 years or older;
- Must have a High School Diploma, GED Certificate or higher;
- Must be committed to completing the 12-month training program;
- Must not be currently enrolled in a D.C. subsidized employment program;
- Must pass a basic computer skills test administered during the interview process;
- Must provide proof of CASAS Reading score with a minimum 241 or an unofficial college transcript; and
- Must attend a mandatory three (3)weeks DHS Pre-Service training (no work waivers).