DC L.E.A.P. (Learn Earn Advance Prosper) Academy was born from a simple idea: Train DC residents who currently receive TANF benefits to serve DC residents. The LEAP Academy bridges the gap between unemployed/underemployed
TANF customers and in-demand jobs within DC Government and the private sector, while providing a pathway to the middle class.
In partnership with DOES and DCHR, Office of Work Opportunity’s (OWO) goal is to target TANF customers for positions available within DC government with priority given to customers who fall into the following TANF sub-categories:
- over 60 months in TANF
- in Rapid Rehousing, and
- in OWO Employment Retention Unit
The application for the next L.E.A.P Academy cohort will be annouced soon on this page. Please email questions to the Department of Human Services/Office of Work Opportunity at [email protected]. Please click the Apply Now button during the enrollment period to join the LEAP program.
Who is eligible?
- Must be a current District of Columbia resident
- Must be a current Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) recipient in good standing.
- Must meet minimum qualifications and suitability requirements for available positions (Note: You may be subject to a criminal history check, random drug test, consumer credit check, and a review of traffic recorded and/or other comprehensive background investigations as it relates to the duties of the position).
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a High School Diploma, GED Certificate or higher
- Must be committed to successfully completing the 12-month training program
- Must not be currently enrolled in a D.C. subsidized employment program.
- Must pass a basic computer skills test administered during the interview process
- Complete Essay Question: How will the LEAP Academy assist you in moving into the Middle Class? (250 word maximum)
The next apply now enrollment will be announced soon.