District First: A Mobile Application for Public Benefits
District First is a convenient mobile application (mobile app) that allows residents to apply for public benefits available in the District. Applications for food, cash, and medical benefits, and verification documents, may be submitted through the mobile app. Through the app, District residents may also complete public benefit recertifications and mid-certifications, view upcoming and past benefit distributions, and update personal/household information. District First is free and available in the Google Play and Apple app stores.
Using District First
- Visit the Google Play or Apple app store to download District First.
- Open District First on your mobile device and create an account.
- Complete your application for public benefits.
- Take a picture of your verification documents and upload the documents.
- Submit your application. DHS will review and will determine your eligibility. You may receive a call from a DHS representative as a follow up to ensure we have the information needed to process your application.
District First Help
The Call Center is available at (202) 727-5355 and can provide help using the mobile app or changing something reported on your application.
The following user guides, FAQ, and video also provide helpful information for using District First:
District First User Guides:
- Creating a District First Account
- Submitting an Application for Public Benefits using District First
- Uploading Documents using District First
- Completing Recertifications for Public Benefits using District First
- Completing Midcertifications for Public Benefits using District First
- Checking the Status of Public Benefits using District First
- Reporting a Change and Update Personal/Household Information using District First
Frequently Asked Questions about the District First Mobile App
District First Introduction Video:
Click the image below to view the video.
For more information about applying for public benefits available in the District, visit the Apply for Benefits information page.